Saturday, May 30, 2015

Grain Free Carrot Cake Pancakes: a recipe from my FREE eBook!




Real Food for Real Families: Grain Free Carrot Cake Pancakes


This Grain Free Carrot Cake Pancake recipe is one of ten tasty recipes in my Real Food for Real Families book, which you can get absolutely free just for signing up to be a part of my email list! You'll get blog updates (not too often...I hate spam), special subscriber-only content and you'll be the first to know of everything exciting in my baby-making, baby-raising world! Click here to get your free copy today!

Real Food for Real Families: Grain Free Carrot Cake PancakesNow that we've got that out of the way, let's get on to the recipe! You know I am all about healthy foods, especially when they are foods your whole family can enjoy, no matter how big or small. But I am also a real person. A real person who loves pancakes. I don't think there is anything wrong with a sweet treat now and then and my heart just melts when Avery gets a big smile on his face and says "Pancakes"! He was so excited to eat these pancakes that he could barely wait for me to finish photographing them.
These aren't just any sweet treat, either. I packed them full of nutrition with bananas, eggs and even shredded carrots. Most mornings we stick with meat and veggies for breakfast. We don't have pancakes on a regular basis, but they make a great Saturday morning breakfast with some scrambled eggs and warm, crispy bacon. Am I right?
                                   
These pancakes make a great food for the whole family, but there are a few guidelines I recommend for the little ones just to be cautious. These pancakes do contain a couple of common allergen (eggs and nuts) so don't feed these to your baby until you have tested these foods and are sure they are not allergic. This is personal to each family as to when you introduce these foods. We introduced most common allergens, including honey, nuts, shellfish, eggs and peanut butter, between 12 and 18 months and (luckily) saw no reactions. Also, I would not recommend feeding these to babies until they are easily eating finger foods and have a good pincer grasp. You could tear these up into small bites for younger babies once they reach this stage. Also, leave out the raisins for the really little ones as they can be a choking hazard until they have a good set of teeth to chew them up with. That being said, once you have a wild, pancake-loving toddler like I do these make a good breakfast for the whole family. 

Don't forget that you can get this recipe plus nine more of my favorite quick and easy family-friendly recipes be joining my email list. I've got you covered for breakfast, lunch, dinner...and even a few tasty treats. This is my special gift to you and it is only available to my email subscribers.



Grain Free Carrot Cake Pancakes
Yield: 12        
Time: 20 min

Ingredients
2 medium bananas, peeled and chopped
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup raisins
1 tbsp coconut oil (to grease pan)

Directions
Add all ingredients except for carrots, raisins and coconut oil into a blender. Mix until smooth. 
Pour into a large bowl and stir in shredded carrots and raisins. Let sit for five minutes to thicken while skillet heats up.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and brush with coconut oil.

Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop batter onto skillet. Cook for about 3 minutes, until pancakes start to bubble and turn golden around the edges. Flip and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.

Top with additional raisins, shredded coconut and/or maple syrup.