Monday, April 21, 2014

Hatch Green Chile and Apple Stuffed Chicken


Another green chile recipe for you today thanks to the abundance of Hatch green chiles sent to me by the Hatch Chile Store. I still have two pounds and I've already made this Green Chile Sauce, a Green Chile Turkey Meatloaf and a Hatch Green Chile Breakfast Casserole!

I've just thawed out my last bag of green chiles and Kevin's parents are coming to visit this week so I hope they are ready for lots of spicy dishes! They are from the southwest so they love spicy food as much, if not more, than we do. My love of spicy food is one of the many reasons I think I belong in the southwest. The beautiful scenery and escaping the dreaded Ohio Valley allergies are a few other good reasons. :)

Mostly, I want for Avery to see more of this world than Southern Indiana. :) I have only left the country twice, and not until my late twenties. I haven't even been to all fifty states. I want him to see and experience all the beauty this country, and this world, has to offer.

If we could swing it, I would be totally happy to hop in the car and road trip around the country. But we have that pesky house payment and jobs to go to so we can make that house payment. Someday, maybe...

What was I supposed to be talking about? Oh, right...chicken and chiles.

Anyway, his time around, I layered the green chiles over butterflied chicken breasts.


Then I sauteed diced onions and apples in ghee and layered heaping spoonfuls over the chiles. I added a sprinkle of raw cheddar cheese, but that step is optional if you are dairy free. They are delicious either way.


Next up, I folded the chicken breasts over so all that spicy sweet goodness was stuffed inside. I seared the chicken in the cast iron skillet before moving it to the oven to roast. I had a little extra stuffing so I sprinkled it over the breasts.


The chicken was juicy and you got a nice forkful of sweet apples and spicy peppers with each bite! I served this with a salad and a side of roasted carrots.



Hatch Green Chile and Apple Stuffed Chicken

Ingredients
2 tsp ghee, divided
1/2 of a medium red onion, diced
1 small granny smith apple, diced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 Hatch green chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
1/4 cup shredded raw cheddar (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F.

Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a skillet over medium heat.

Once melted, add onion and saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add diced apples and saute for an additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper and stir well to combine.

While apple mixture is cooling, use a sharp knife to butterfly chicken breasts (do not cut all the way in half, just far enough that you can open the breast up like a book).

If not already done, chop stems off of green chiles and slice one side in half lengthwise so that you can open the chile up and lie it out flat. Lie one chile flat inside each breast.

Spoon an equal amount of the apple mixture on each breast. Only fill enough that you can still fold breast back over without the contents coming out. If you have any extra filling, spoon it on top of chicken before baking. Optional - Sprinkle cheddar cheese over apple mixture before folding breast back over.

Heat remaining 1 tsp of ghee in a large oven proof skillet over medium-high heat.

Place chicken in pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. If you have any remaining apple mixture, spoon it evenly over chicken breasts. Cook for 3 minutes.

Move pan to oven and cook for 20 minutes. Turn heat up to broil and cook for an additional 5 minutes until chicken is no longer pink in the center.