Sunday, October 27, 2013

Paleo Pen Pals October 2013 - Cocoa Coffee Bliss Bites


My Paleo Pen Pal this month was Melissa of House of Skip and she sent me a jar of instant espresso. As soon as I received it, I knew what I was going to make. I sent Melissa some dried ancho chiles and you have to see this amazing chili she made with them!

I had already been working on some new flavors of my Paleo Brownie Bites and a coffee flavor sounded delicious!! Coffee and cocoa sounded even better so I created these Cocoa Coffee Bliss Bites. Less than ten ingredients, tons of chocolately flavor and a hint of coffee - these are a perfect treat. Thanks for the inspiration, Melissa!



Cocoa Coffee Bliss Bites
Makes: Approximately 16-18 bites

Ingredients
½ cup pecans
½ cup walnuts
1 cup pitted dates (about 15 dates)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tsp instant espresso grounds 
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
Dash of sea salt

Directions
Add nuts to food processor with the chopping blade attached. Process into a fine powder. About 30 seconds. Remove from food processor and set aside in a bowl. 

Add dates, vanilla, cocoa powder, coffee grounds, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt to food processor. Process on high until the mixture forms a paste. About 1 minute.

Add nuts back to food processor and process until mixture is well combined. About 1 minute.

Pour the mixture back into the bowl and, using your hands, form the dough into 1-inch balls.

Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.