Sunday, September 22, 2013

Green Banana Smoothie Layered with Chocolate Chia Pudding

I have been seeing chia seeds everywhere and I've been wanting to try them, but I wasn't really sure what to do with them. I am learning about macronutrients in school right now and these darn little chia seeds keep popping up in my textbooks so I decided it was time to finally give them a try. Here are a few of the things I learned about chia seeds in my reading:
  • High in fiber, essential fatty acids (hello Omega-3's!), protein, calcium and antioxidants
  • Absorb up to 12 times their weight and expand to help you feel more satiated
  • Gluten-free
Sounds good to me! I LOVE my post-workout green smoothies so I decided to incorporate my chia seeds in with my smoothie. I made a banana flavored green smoothie and layered in a homemade chocolate chia seed pudding. I drank it out of a mason jar, which, of course, made it taste even better. Ha ha. :) 


I drank my smoothie after completing my very first bike ride since I had Baby A. Actually, it was my first bike ride since the day I found out I was pregnant. I am very clumsy and fall off my bike a lot so I stayed off my bike during the pregnancy. It felt so amazing to be back out on my bike and I am looking forward to getting back out there. Back to the smoothie, though - this was so refreshing after returning from my ride on such a hot day and it held me over until it was time for dinner.


My chocolate chia pudding was so yummy that now I keep thinking about all of the other combinations I could come up with! I searched online for a chai flavor chia pudding and had that for breakfast topped with sliced strawberries and chocolate chips. I'd love to try a peanut butter flavor and some fruit flavors using fresh squeezed fruit juice.

Have you tried chia seeds? Do you have a favorite flavor or recipe? Share it in the comments below!


Green Banana Smoothie Layered with Chocolate Chia Pudding
Serves: 2

Ingredients
For the Pudding:
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp honey (optional, but delicious)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

For the Smoothie:
2 bananas, sliced and frozen
4 green tea ice cubes (just green tea frozen in ice cube trays, you can also use regular ice cubes)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup water
2 big handfuls spinach

Directions
For the Pudding:
Combine all ingredients in a mason jar (or leftover almond butter jar...whatever).

Stir well, making sure all chia seeds are coated in liquid.

Place lid on jar and store in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. The longer you leave it in the refrigerator, the thicker it will get. I recommend leaving it overnight and stirring every so often.

For the Smoothie:

Add all ingredients to blender.

Blend until smooth. If needed, add additional water until desired consistency is reached.

Divide between two large glasses. Spoon chia pudding evenly into both glasses and stir to incorporate.

Drink up and enjoy!