Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sweet Sesame Dressing - Paleo Pen Pals August 2013

My Paleo Pen Pal this month was Tanya of Feed the Clan. She writes all about how she feeds her family a healthy Paleo diet on a budget. She sent me a bottle of fish sauce! I was SO excited to receive this because Kevin and I threw out our fish sauce when we switched to Paleo because it had all kinds of nasty ingredients in it. The fish sauce Tanya sent me is authentic and CLEAN! Just fish, water and salt - no added ingredients.


It took Kevin a long time to even convince me to try fish sauce. Fish...in a bottle. Did not sound good to me. But, eventually, I tried it and we have added it to pretty much every stir fry and Asian dish we have made since so I was pretty sad when we had to throw it out.

I decided to use it to make an Asian inspired salad dressing and it was so delicious. I added a bit of honey for sweetness and a sprinkling of sesame seeds for texture. I served this with a salad of diced chicken, spinach, romaine, green peppers, cherry tomatoes, red onion, shredded carrots, dried pineapple strips, toasted almonds and sesame seeds. The dressing made this fresh and flavorful salad even better and I think it would work well with so many other salad combos!


Sweet Sesame Dressing
Serves: 4
Time: 10 Minutes

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sesame seed oil
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp honey
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp grated ginger
Dash of black pepper


Directions
Whisk all ingredients in a medium bowl until honey is dissolved and all ingredients are well combined. Store any unused dressing in the refrigerator.