Saturday, July 27, 2013

Grain Free Zucchini Bread Pancakes

I haven't had the chance to make many fancy breakfasts lately. My morning usually consist of running around the house like a mad woman to see how many things I can get done before the baby wakes up. Things like brushing my teeth and putting on clean clothes. I am afraid if I wait until the baby wakes up these things will somehow escape me and I will stay in my pajamas all day. Actually, I am wearing my pajamas right now, at 1:00pm on a Saturday afternoon, but I put on gym clothes to go to CrossFit, took a shower, changed into jeans and a top to go to the farmers' market and then changed back in to my pajamas so that totally doesn't count.

Kevin has taken over a good portion of breakfast duty, but I miss making breakfast so last Sunday I offered to make a special breakfast while Kevin watched the baby. 

Play time!
I knew I wanted to make pancakes, but I wanted to try something new (like always). We had a ton of zucchini so I decided to try zucchini bread pancakes based on the zucchini bread recipe I made for the state fair last year (I didn't win so I guess the state fair judges aren't on board with grain free desserts yet). The recipe only used about half of a large zucchini so I shredded the remaining zucchini and made zucchini scrambled eggs to serve with the pancakes! Baby A did start crying for his breakfast as soon as the first pancake hit the griddle so Kevin had to take over pancake flipping duty, but he did me proud. They came out perfect!

These were SO good and tasted just like zucchini bread! I bet they would be even better with chocolate chips...

                                    

Grain Free Zucchini Bread Pancakes
Makes 10-12 Pancakes
Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients
1 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Ginger
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
1/4 Tsp Allspice
3 Eggs, Beaten
1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
1/2 Cup Water
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Cup Shredded Zucchini (about 1/2 of a medium zucchini)
1/2 Cup Raisins

Directions 
Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.

Mix almond flour, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice in a bowl.

Mix eggs, coconut milk, water, lemon juice and vanilla in a separate bowl.

Mix dry ingredients in with wet ingredients and whisk until smooth and there are no clumps.

Fold in shredded zucchini and raisins until well combined.

Grease skillet or griddle with oil of your choice. Make sure it is really well covered so the pancakes don't stick!

Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop batter onto skillet or griddle. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until they start to bubble and are golden around the edges. Flip and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.

Top with additional raisins and maple syrup!