Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Grain Free Lemon Blueberry Lavender Muffins

There is a totally random train of thought that pulled into the station to create these tasty muffins...

See, blueberries were on sale at the grocery store so Kevin picked up a couple of containers, but then I realized I had nothing to do with that many blueberries. I decided to make muffins, but I didn't want just any old plain blueberry muffins so I was going to make blueberry and apple muffins. Sounds good right?


Well, before I had a chance to make them, we noticed the lavender blooming in the gardens that were built in the medians of the streets of our fair city. I am sure it is frowned upon, but each year we have taken to picking bits of lavender here and there when we are stuck at the stop light. We usually just put it in a vase, but Kevin nabbed a few sprigs over the weekend and I remembered these awesome lemon and lavender sugar cookies I made a few years back. They even won me a blue ribbon at the fair!


My mind went from blueberry and apple to lemon, blueberry and lavender and I am SO glad it did. These muffins came out even better than I could have imagined! They are light, but full of flavor, the lavender is subtle and the blueberry flavor bursts in your mouth. And they are grain-free to boot! I'll get on that train! Choo Choo!

Side note: Can you tell these are the ramblings of a sleep-deprived new mother?

Additional Side Note: I would suggest using culinary lavender or lavender that you know has not been sprayed with pesticides or fertilizers. I do not endorse roadside lavender.


Lemon Blueberry Lavender Muffins
Makes 12 Muffins
Time: 40 Minutes

Ingredients
1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs fresh lavender
6 eggs
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries
Zest of 1 lemon

Directions
In a small bowl, combine coconut flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and lavender.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, honey, oil and vanilla. Blend well with whisk.
Mix dry ingredients into wet, blending with a whisk.
Fold in blueberries and lemon zest with a spatula.
Pour batter evenly into a 12 cup muffin tin (greased with coconut oil or using paper liners).
Bake at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Allow to cool and serve!