Wednesday, February 27, 2013

February Paleo Pen Pals Guest Post from Amy - German Chocolate Ice Cream


Read on for a guest post from Paleo Pen Pal, Amy. Ready to be a part of Paleo Pen Pals? Visit our Facebook Page or click here to sign up!

--------------------

German Chocolate Ice Cream - A Delectable Dessert



Hello Paleo Pen Pal friends!! Another month and another round of fun completed. I've throughly enjoyed being part of this experience and being able to connect with so many great people from various corners of our country. Being the only Paleo person in a house of 4, it can be difficult at times to stay on track. I do my best to impart my lifestyle onto my husband and both children, but haven't been able to 100%. I don't know that I ever will, but I all I can do is keep trying!!

And that's what brings me to today's indulgence. Since going Paleo, I've participated in 2-21DSDs (daily sugar detox), and have done two Whole30s. Going through each of these programs, I feel that I have been able to break the sugar demon that once controlled me. I can go days, weeks, and even longer without having sugar (even honey or maple syrup), and I'm okay. However, there are days when my husband or my boys sit down at the end of the day to have dessert and for a brief moment, it crosses my mind to take a bite to remember the taste. Then I recall how I would feel if I did have that bite, and know that I've made the right decision NOT to take that bite. And then I feel even better!!


However, there are times when even the most Paleo dedicated needs a little bit of a break. And you want to enjoy something special. When I received my package from Tanya, my February Paleo Pen Pal, the first thing that crossed my mind was dessert. Tanya sent me a delightful bag of David Wolfe's Organic Raw Cacao Powder. Tanya and I must have been on the same wavelength because I actually sent her some cacao powder as well!! Shortly after receiving my cacao powder, I came across this recipe for German Chocolate Ice Cream. I've always loved chocolate and anytime it had coconut along with it, I felt like I was in heaven. This recipe was quite easy to follow. After mixing all of the ingredients together, I placed the bowl into my fridge to chill (you must chill for at least 2 hours). After a little more than 2 1/2 hours, I took my batter out of the fridge and poured it into my ice cream maker. If you don't have one, Cuisinart is a fantastic option!! This recipe as a whole makes a lot of batter, so it actually took 2 rounds in the ice cream maker. After 20 minutes in the Cuisinart and then at least 2 hours in the freezer to firm up, I ended up with a rich and creamy treat. It's not the traditional German chocolate you would normally think of, but the cacao and the shredded coconut balance each other nicely. I didn't notice the honey, so it did not taste sweet at all. A fantastic treat to enjoy when you want just a little something.

Looking for another way to use even just a little bit of that cacao powder? Start with 2 bananas. Freeze and then slice them. Put them into your blender (or food processor) along with 1/4c of coconut milk, 1tsp. of vanilla extract (homemade is preferable), and 1tbsp. of cacao powder. Combine all ingredients until well blended. Yum!!!