Thursday, December 27, 2012

“It’s Pizza Night” - A Guest Post from my Paleo Penpal, Amy


Read on for a guest post from my Paleo Pen Pal, Amy. I sent her some of my favorite Trader Joe's goodies. Ready to be a part of Paleo Pen Pals? Visit our Facebook Page and fill out the Contact Form to sign up!

------------------------------

I have 2 boys. Ron is 6 and in first grade. Conor is 5 and in kindergarten. When I was growing up, I always got school lunch. I know now that the food was not that good for you. However, times have changed (somewhat). At the beginning of each month, my boys bring home the following months lunch calendar. They like to go through it with me and let me know which days they would like to get school lunch instead of home lunch. I cringe at some of the days (and then silently cheer when they don’t chose them). However, Friday’s are a given. Every Friday is pizza day. Whether it’s stuffed crust, square, or sticks, they always want to get it.

And that makes pizza nights at home fun too. Whenever I tell them I’m making pizza, they run through the house and cheer (and ask for fries to go with it). The difficult part about pizza night is that I’m a Paleo eater in a non-Paleo household. So there are always 2 pizzas ready to go....one for me, one for the husband and kids. Since going Paleo, I’ve grown to love the meatza!! Who wouldn’t enjoy sitting down to a round piece of cooked meat piled high with tasty toppings? I know I do. And that’s what I decided to do with the goodies I received from my December Paleo Penpal, Tarah. She runs the fantastic blog What I Gather. You’re reading her blog now, so you already know how fabulous she is!!


For December, Tarah sent me California Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Fire Roasted Yellow & Red Peppers...both from Trader Joe’s. Living just outside of Boston, it’s a good thing there are a plethora of Trader Joe’s nearby. Both items are delicious!! After showing my husband what Tarah sent, he gave me a few ideas on what I could do with them. I decided on these http://everydaypaleo.com/sun-dried-tomato-meatballs-with-creamy-pesto/. However, instead of doing meatballs, I did a meatza (just flatten the meat into one large burger). And since it was only me eating it, I adjusted all of the ingredients down to accommodate 1/2lb. of ground beef. After cooking the meat mixture for 15 minutes, I topped it with some homemade pizza sauce, tomato, avocado, and the yellow & red peppers sent to me from Tarah. I then tossed it back into the oven and cooked it for another 10 minutes. Can we say delicious? I can....100 times over!!


Thank you Tarah for the tasty ingredients. I know where I’ll be heading when I need to restock.