Saturday, July 28, 2012

Spicy Tomatillo Sauce and Whole30 Day 9

This morning we woke up and went to our first official CrossFit class at Clark Floyd CrossFit. I ate a few pieces of cantaloupe before class to get me going.

I've heard and seen a lot about CrossFit since becoming a part of the Paleo community, but honestly it seemed too hard for me and I wasn't sure how it would fit into my already busy schedule of swimming, biking and running. After Kevin's Ironman 70.3 in Florida he really wanted to focus on strength and learning proper technique so we stopped into our local CrossFit gym on a bike ride a few weeks ago. We've been a few times now and are learning the basics. I love the focus on proper form and the sense of community. And I hope to be able to make my body do some of the badass stuff that elite athletes can do. Actually, I just want to do a pull up. Just one. I have never been able to do one in my whole life. So that is my number one goal right now.

After class we had to hurry up and get ready for work so I threw together a hash with shredded zucchini, sweet potato, onion, salsa and the rest of the leftover beef roast. I made enough that I could even pack some up for lunch!

When lunchtime rolled around I heated up my leftovers and ate them over a bed of lettuce greens and Trader Joe's Broccoli and Carrot Slaw. I also threw in some microwaved frozen veggies for good measure.


Snack time was an apple and some roasted sweet potato-the last of the big batch I had roasted last Sunday! We snuck off to the grocery store after work and I picked up a Lara Bar to eat on the way home. I was pretty sure my stomach was going to eat itself if I waited to eat again until dinner.


I was super excited about dinner! Kevin does some amazing things in the kitchen and one of them is this Spicy Tomatillo Sauce that I am going to share with you today. It is full of roasted tomatillo and pepper goodness and you can adjust the spice to your liking. We poured it over grilled ham steaks and sautéed peppers and onions, but you can have it over eggs, chicken, steak, or even as a veggie dip!



Spicy Tomatillo Sauce
Servings: 6-8
Prep Time: 5 minutes 
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
1 lb tomatillos, peeled and rinsed
1 poblano pepper
1 jalapeño pepper
1/4 cup water

Directions
-Preheat oven to broil.
-Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or coat with a bit of olive oil.
-Place tomatillos and peppers in an even layer on baking sheet and place in oven to broil, leaving oven door open slightly (a good tip anytime you broil).
-After the tomatillos and peppers begin to blister, about 10 minutes, flip everything over and cook for an additional 10 minutes on the other side. Remove from oven and let cool.
-Once peppers are cool enough to handle, remove stems. Add tomatillos, peppers and water to a blender. Pulse until smooth.

>>Modifications
Less spice - cut jalapeño in half and remove seeds before roasting
No spice - omit jalapeño