Thursday, July 26, 2012

Grilled Ahi Tuna Mexican Salad Whole30 Day 7

I had every intention of waking up this morning and going to 5:30 spin class, but my bed felt just a little too cozy and I slept until almost 7:30. This was a morning that I was so glad I thought ahead and cooked a big breakfast the day before. I made Everyday Paleo's Southwestern Frittata yesterday so I just rolled out of bed, threw it in the microwave and chowed down!

My boss was nice enough to buy us all lunch yesterday so I went out to pick it up. We chose the Chop Shop, which is sort of like Subway, but with salads. They have a ton of yummy ingredients and you just go down the line and choose your toppings. I went with spinach, chicken, strawberries, broccoli, asparagus and green peppers with oil and vinegar on the side.

My afternoon snack was a banana with almond butter while I worked away at my desk!


I was so excited to come home and make dinner because we were trying out a new recipe with some Ahi Tuna from Trader Joe's and I just couldn't wait to make it and share it with you! Kevin, being the grill master that he is, cooked up the tuna steaks while I put the salad together. We had roasted broccoli on the side and it all looked so good that my eyes were a bit bigger than my stomach and I couldn't quite clean my plate.


I had the idea to try a Mexican salad with a chili lime vinaigrette. I took lettuce, cherry tomatoes, pepitas, black olives and avocado and topped it all off with onions and sautéed mini peppers. When the tuna was perfectly grilled, I sliced it and layered the strips on top of the salad. Finished off with a drizzle of the chili lime vinaigrette, this dinner couldn't get much healthier (or tastier)!


Grilled Ahi Tuna Mexican Salad with Chili Lime Vinaigrette
Serves: 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes


Ingredients
>For the Tuna
Two Ahi Tuna Steaks (about 1/2 lb each)
Dash of salt and pepper
Juice of 1 lime

>For the dressing
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp lime zest
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp chopped garlic
Dash of salt and pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/3 cup olive oil

>For the Salad
1 tbsp olive oil
12 mini peppers, sliced into rings
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 romaine heart, chopped
2 cups mixed salad greens
1 cup chopped cabbage
8-10 black olives, sliced
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)


Directions
>For the Tuna
Heat your grill to medium-high heat.
Pat tuna steaks dry with a paper towel and set on a plate or cutting board.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
When grill is pre-heated, place steaks on grill and cook with lid closed for 3-4 minutes per side, to desired level of doneness.
Squeeze lime juice over tuna steaks, remove from grill and let rest while you prepare your salad.

>For the dressing
Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until well combined.

>For the Salad
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
Once hot, add mini peppers and red onions to skillet. Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring often. 
Remove peppers and onions from heat and set aside.
Add romaine, salad greens and cabbage to a large bowl. Add olives tomatoes, avocado and pepitas and mix well.
Divide salad evenly among 4 plates.
Top each plate with a portion of the peppers and onions.
Slice tuna steaks on an angle and arrange on top of each salad.
Drizzle salads with dressing and dig in!

Foster assumes his position at the back door to jealously watch us grill