Monday, January 30, 2012

Super Rosemary Citrus Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

It's almost Super Bowl time again. The Super Bowl means many things to me:

1) Gathering with some of my close friends at my sister's house. These gatherings have changed quite a bit over the past few years with the addition of my two nephews. They provide the majority of our entertainment now, as opposed to actually watching the game. Less beer, more toddlers.

2) Wishing I still had cable so I could watch The Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet.

3) Lots of yummy food! We all bring a dish or two over to my sister's for the party. This will be our first Paleo Super Bowl so I spent some time this week thinking of what we could bring that would fit into our diet and also please our non-Paleo friends. 

I landed on these twice baked sweet potatoes. They are delicious, healthy and not too far off from some of the traditional Super Bowl party foods (potato skins, etc). I think they will be a hit!




Rosemary Citrus Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Serves 6-12 (depends on how hungry everyone is)!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes

Ingredients
-6 medium sweet potatoes
-2 tbsp ghee, grass fed butter or coconut oil (room temperature)
-1/2 cup coconut milk
-Zest of 1 orange
-1/4 cup orange juice
-2 tbsp fresh or dried rosemary
-1/2 tsp thyme
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper

Directions
-Preheat oven to 375 F.
-Wash and pat dry sweet potatoes.
-Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until soft, about 1 hour.
-Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle.
-Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the insides into a large mixing bowl. Place the skins back on the baking sheet.
-Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl with the sweet potatoes and mix well with a fork.
-Add an equal amount of the filling back to each of the sweet potato skins. If you are feeling really fancy, you can use a piping bag (or the poor man's piping bag, a freezer ziploc bag with a hole cut in the bottom corner).
-Bake for 10 minutes. Place the oven on a low broil and continue cooking until a nice, brown crust forms on the sweet potatoes (2-3 minutes).
-Remove from the oven and serve warm. Touchdown! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)