Friday, January 20, 2012

Chipotle Chili

I submitted this recipe to Robb Wolf's Holiday Recipe Contest in December. I didn't win, but it was a lot of fun and there were tons of good recipes. Someone even made my chili and commented on how delicious it was. That made me feel like a winner. I'm just happy to provide people with delicious, healthy recipes, but I would have liked to win that Le Creuset cast iron French oven!

I never ate chili growing up because I disliked beans. Paleo chili is made without beans so I am now a chili convert. I love any meal that can be made in the crock pot because you can throw it in there in the morning and when you walk in the door from work in the evening, your house smells delicious and your dinner is ready to eat!

Chipotle Chili
Serves 8

Ingredients
-2 lb ground beef
-1 lb spicy italian sausage (if you can't find ground, use the sausage links and remove the sausage from the casings before browning)
-2 tbsp chili powder
-1 tbsp ground cumin
-1 tsp ground coriander
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-1 large yellow onion, diced
-4 large tomatoes, diced
-2 tbsp chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp ground black pepper
-1/2 cup water or chicken broth

Directions
-Heat a large pot over medium-high heat
-Once hot, add the ground beef and sausage and brown
-When the meat has browned, add the chili powder, cumin and coriander. Mix well with the browned meat and cook for about 1 minute
-Stir in the garlic and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent (4 or 5 minutes).
-Add the diced tomatoes and chipotle peppers, salt and pepper and stir well. Bring to a simmer, then transfer to the crock pot with water or chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours
-Garnish with cilantro, avocado or toasted pumpkin seeds (or all three)!